Friday, February 4, 2011

True Love In The Strangest Form

 This  year  was  the  year  to  have  something to  show  for  the  ten  hours  a  day  I  put  in  all  year  at  my  job.  Working  as  a  Phlebotomist,  earning  $24,340  a  year,  only  helped  to  pay  the  mortgage  and  car  note.  I  barely  had  enough  money  to  buy  cold  medicine  after  my  bills  were  paid.  Well,  this  year  was  different.  I  declared  that  I  would  buy  myself  something  that  made  a  statement  that  I  was  employed.  Recently  learning  that  watching  TV  after  hours  lowered  my  electric  bill,  I  only  turned  on  the  thirty-five  inch  bulky  TV  set  after  midnight.  While  resting  my  worn  out  body  from  working  all  day  on  my  all  black  futon  sofa  bed,  a  major  cell  phone  company  advertised  a  brand  spanking  new  Blackberry  Curve.  From  the  moment  I  laid  my  eyes  on  the  cute  little  QWERTY  keypad  and  the  5x  zoom  digital  camera,  and  not  to  mention  the  beautiful  media  player  with  the  ability  to  download  from  a  popular  music  site  that  rhymes  with  MouPube!


 All  that  night  I  thought  about  that  Blackberry  Curve.  The  phone  I  currently  owned  had  internet  and  played  videos  from  MouPube,  but  the  connection  was  too  slow.  By  the  time  it  loaded,  I  didn't  want  to  see  the  video  any  more.  I  wanted  that  Blackberry  Curve  dammit!  That  next  morning,  I  used  one  of  my  sick  days,  took  the  day  off  and  went  shopping  for  my  true  love.  As  soon  as  I  touched  the  display,  a  sales  representative  approached  me.

 "They  have  been  selling  like  hotcakes!"  Dressed  in  his  black  and  white  uniform  with  cell  phone  logos  printed  all  over  his  crew  neck  shirt,  the  sales  rep  began  pitching  his  game.  What  he  did  not  know  was  that  the  commercial  had  already  sold  the  phone  to  me.

 "How  much  is  it?"  That  was  the  one  of  the  main  details  the  advertisement  omitted.

 "It's  $699  but  it's  on  sale  for  $499  with  approved  credit.  On  top  of  that,  the  first  month  is  free!"  At  first,  the  price  didn't  hit  home  until  he  said  I  couldn't  make  payments.  That's  what  I  was  used  to.

 Not  only  did  I  need  good  credit,  but  I  had  to  sign  a  two  year  contract  and  the  bill  could  range  from  $80-$100  a  month.  Handing  the  rep  $930,  taxes  and  deposit  included,  with  an  agreement  of  paying  $87  a  month  for  two  years,  I  was  finally  united  with  my  first  true  love,  the  Blackberry  Curve.


 Since  the  Blackberry  Curve  was  a  smart  phone,  it  programmed  itself  and  was  ready  to  use,  well  after  activation  with  customer  service.  Instantly,  I  played  around  with  all  of  the  features.  The  insanely  high  speed  internet  and  all  of  the  Blackberry  Apps.  There  was  even  a  Blackberry  instant  messenger  that  would  send  a  message  in  less  than  a  second!  Beautiful!  It  would  take  me  at  least  five  minutes  to  text  from  my  old  phone.  The  internet  browser  was  slow  and  most  of  the  web  pages  were  not  supported.  But  the  Blackberry  Curve  changed  all  of  that!


 Before  I  knew  it,  the  sun  was  setting.  I  had  spent  seven  hours,  almost  an  entire  work  day,  in  my  car  on  my  new  Blackberry  Curve!  Turning  the  key  in  the  ignition,  I  was  off  toward  home  to  charge  the  battery  since  I  had  been  on  the  phone  so  long.  Just  as  stopped  at  a  red  light,  my  new  Blackberry  Curve  began  to  vibrate.  My  love  was  letting  me  know  that  something  was  going  on.  I  picked  up  the  sweet  joy  and  there  was  my  first  text  message!  Without  a  second  thought,  I  clicked  the  highlighted  "view"  button  to  read  what  my  love  had  for  me.  It  was  a  message  from  the  company  welcoming  me  to  their  network.  Also  following  that  message  was  another  stating  that  I  needed  to  pay  an  additional  $40  to  cover  the  charges  since  I  bought  the  phone  after  the  bill  was  sent  out.


 Trying  to  understand  the  message,  I  read  it  again.  It  made  no  sense  that  I  would  have  to  pay  half  the  bill  for  a  phone  I  didn't  even  own,  when  the  bill  was  sent  out  three  days  before  I  brought  the  damn  phone!  I  tried  texting  the  company  back,  but  the  message  was  automated  and  I  couldn't  reply.  By  this  time  the  traffic  light  had  turned  green.  Pulling  into  my  desired  lane,  the  Blackberry  Curve  vibrated  again.  It  was  another  message!  Curious  to  know  what  it  said,  I  glanced  at  the  colorful  screen  trying  to  read  more  of  the  bullshit  the  company  was  sending  me.  Without  warning,  a  car  slammed  in  the  front  of  my  car,  launching  me  like  a  bullet  out  of  the  back  windshield.  Hitting  the  car  behind  me  in  the  headlights  with  my  head,  I  slipped  in  and  out  of  consciousness.  The  paramedics  rushed  me  to  the  ambulance,  but  I  stopped  them  in  their  tracks.

 "I'm  not  alone!"  I shouted.  Frantically,  the  medics  searched  my  car.

 "Who  was  with  you?!"  They  all  shouted.  One  medic  grabbed  my  hand  and  told  me  to  squeeze  if  I  could  hear  him.  I  squeezed.  I  pulled  him  closer  to  my  bloodied  face.


 "You  have  to  save  my  Blackberry  Curve!  I  just  spent  my  rent  money  on  it  and  I'll  be  homeless  by  the  time  I  get  out  of  the  hospital.  My  car  is  totaled.  It's  all  I  have  left!"


 The  medic  angrily  motioned  for  the  tow  truck  driver  to  haul  my  sedan  that  had  been  crushed  to  the  size  of  a  child's  lunch  box  off  to  the  junkyard.  Even  though  the  medics  tried  to  stitch  my  arm  back  on  my  body,  they  could  never  replace  the  true  reason  for  living,  my  Blackberry  Curve!  

No comments: